Nestled between Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, and Tybee Island, Georgia is the eight-square-mile island called Daufuskie. This piece of land is not accessible by roadway. Visitors and tourists must venture by boat or ferry. One one side of the island is the Intercoastal Waterway, and the other is the Atlantic Ocean. Daufuskie Island was deemed a historic district because of its civil war history. It’s time to take a visit to Daufuskie Island, South Carolina; how do you get there?
The land has a long history that dates back thousands of years, but even today is limited to about four hundred residents. Four an island that is 5 miles long and 2.5 miles wide is very low in population to allow for natural beauty, including nearly four miles of shoreline.
How do you get to Daufuskie Island?
Because of its proximity to both Savannah and Hilton Head, two popular tourist destinations, the island is an easy day trip from either. If you’re flying in, to the coastal region, both Hilton Head and Savannah offer international airports.
Daufuskie Island Ferry
At the base of the bridge to enter Hilton Head Island is the departure zone. Daufuskie Island Ferry is easy to get to. Ample free parking is available, and it even includes a shuttle from the car to the landing where you board the boat.
- To locate the ferry, go to- 55 Fording Island Road Exd. Bluffton, SC 29926
- The ferry runs to Daufuskie from Bluffton at 7 AM, 10 AM, 1 PM, and 4 PM.
- A returning boat is scheduled for 8:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, and 5:30 PM. The times are altered for New Years’, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.
- The cost per ticket is $45 per overnight guest, $35 for the day traveler, and all children seven and under are free.
- For those who are staying as overnight guests, the nightly parking fee is ten dollars.
- The travel time from the mainland to the island or vice versa is typically forty-five minutes.
If you’re on the island of Hilton Head, the adventure is just as easy. Jump on board The Daufuskie Difference.
- Daily departures from Broad Creek Marina
- The vessel can be boarded at 18 Simmons Road Hilton Head, SC 29926.
- A cruise from Hilton Head Island to Daufuskie Island is typically about thirty minutes to an hour.
- Free parking is included with tickets.
- Venture across the Calbogue Sound past the tranquil shores of the island.
- Round trip ticket prices are $35.00 for adults, $17.50 for children from three to twelve, and kids two and under are free.
- Lunch or dinner is included at Old Daufuskie Crab Company.
- A golf cart rental is also part of the package but is based on availability.
- Wide ranges of travel times are available to select your package on the Daufuskie Difference site.
The choice of where to depart is yours. Both companies are vastly different in what they offer. Daufuskie Island Ferry offers great service on a rigorous schedule to meet the tourists and island residents’ needs. When you compare this to Daufuskie Difference, they work more closely with the tourist in mind. Besides the island trip, more personalized options are available, including a supper cruise, dolphin tour, or island tour.
Conclusion- Is It Worth Going To Daufuskie?
No matter what you chose, both golf cart and bike rental stands are available upon arrival as a means of transportation to allow you to see all that Daufuskie Island has to offer. The piece of land is a great escape from the everyday rigors of life. Take the adventure and tap into the laid back island lifestyle of the south.